19.10.09

hello world, i've been waiting for a chance to see your face ...

as some of you already know, I am setting out for Europe for a couple of months. the preparation for the trip has been a bit of a harrowing experience ... visas, gear etc. lack of information, lack of knowledge of how crummy visa servies are etc. etc. etc.

i figured if not anything else, my trip could inspire a few blogs that might be helpful for those setting out on a similar-ish journey ...

so come one, and come all ... let me share my wisdom with you
(i can hear my friends splitting their insides laughing already ... sigh! if only they knew ...)

So, newho ... I am to spend a month in UK, and I still haven't got my UK Visa. Today, I sent the following email to the embassy's complaints department, twice.

Dear Sir, Madam

Name: Shruti Sharma
Application Number: ---
DOB: ---

I should have been in Spain at this moment. But I am not. Because my passport is snuggly sitting in your custody. I am only going to Europe for two months to do some research for a novel that I am working on. And already the experience of just acquiring visas has been so harrowing that I feel like I am beginning to forget how to write ...

I have re-scheduled my trip twice by now because of visa delays and I beg you to not make me do it a third time ...


By the evening I had a text from my agent, asking me to come pick up my passport tomorrow. Trust me, humour works wonders everywhere. This incident proves my theory: there is no need for seriousness, live life in jest.

will let you know how it works out :)
Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

David said...

result! Well done Shruts. Your life philosophy is paying off. Just don't get too jestful on the plane and mention shoe bombs and flying into skyscrapers... They might not see the funny side!

sacredeastwind said...

good thing you told me ... because that's exactly what I was thinking of saying if they make me take my shoes off to send them through a special scanner ... has happened to me before and i did say (on a local flight) 'oh did you find the bomb inside my left shoe' ... i don't think they liked my tone!

Anisha said...

Hi! I know this is a comment unrelated to your post. But please tell me if you have the link / name of the singer who wrote the song that is the title of this post, Hello world! I've been searching all over the net and I grew up listening to this song but I just can't find it! Help! :)

sacredeastwind said...

Not unrelated :) Unfortunately, haven't been able to find the song myself, been searching for it for a while now.

Anonymous said...

"hello world i've been waitin on a chance to see your face" <- I NEED THIS SONG!!!

M/s Shruti I hope your trip was wonderful but your page currently sits on top for that search term and for that reason YOU OWE ME TO FIND THAT SONG THATS BEEN STUCK IN MY HEAD FOR FOREVER!!!!!! (and so is your beautiful smile now btw :)

sacredeastwind said...

Why, thank you, Anonymous! :)

I am afraid I still haven't found the song. But tell you what, I'm going to set out to look for it again.

S.